The antique city of Sibrium
|(CH 1903)||E 710656||N 65258||H 357.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.860||Lat. 45.730|
Landscape, Didactic, Hiking, Archaeological
In the early fourth century AD, the fort was composed of only three square towers, arranged in a triangle in the north area of the plains. It was reinforced by the Goths in the late fifth century with a surrounding wall built of river stones and blocks of gneiss, mostly taken from other buildings, and equipped with square towers. Near the late Roman towers is the church of San Giovanni, with its baptistery, which was built in three phases. In the first, during the fifth century, it was a structure with a single hall. In the second, during the Lombardian period, it was enlarged into three sections. In the third phase, which is perhaps the Carolingian period, the apse was added to the southern section. The octagonal, apsidal baptistery dates from the fifth century, uncommonly having two baptismal pools. Nearby there is a late Roman cistern, which was originally covered with earthenware and vaulted. In the surrounding area stand the Church of Saint Paul, dating from the tenth to the eleventh centuries, and the remains of a vicarage from the ninth century. The church of Santa Maria Foris Portas (“foris portas” meaning “outside the gates” in Latin), outside of the surrounding wall, seems to have had an early Christian phase, and is adorned with paintings from the eigth century.
Castelseprio Archaeological Park is approximately 25 kilometres east of Lago Maggiore, on the right of the Olona River. The address is 58 Via Castelvecchio.