località Castello presso l'oratorio di San Vittore
|(CH 1903)||E 727177||N 94490||H 669.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 9.080||Lat. 45.990|
Landscape, Archaeological, Historical
At Castello, near the church of Saint Vittore di Laino, archaeological excavations have unearthed a stratigraphic sequence which attests to various phases of occupation of the site by man over a period of time ranging from the Bronze Age to the Early Middle Ages. The main occupation of the site, however, dates from the establishment of a fortified castrum during the sixth century AD. The remains of dwellings in this phase of occupation confirm that the castle was contemporaneous with the inscription in the Church of Saint Victor. There is little evidence from the Early Medieval Age to show that the site was also used during this period, or even following the Late Medieval abandonment of the castle.
Information not yet available.