One of the oldest churches in the Mendrisio area
|(CH 1903)||E 719780||N 81990||H 367.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.981||Lat. 45.879|
Didactic, Archaeological, Historical, Architectural
The Chiesa dei SS. Martino e Rocco was first mentioned only in 1441, although an earlier document records the presence of monastic property in the area: a land transfer deed, dated 963 C.E. testifies to the transfer of land in the Mendrisio zone in exchange for land in Campione, from Aupaldo, Abbot of Saint Ambrogio in Milan, to Liutprando, Abbot of Saint Pietro di Lodi. So the Monastery of Lodi, feudatory owner of these lands, very probably had a “cell”, consisting of agricultural land with a small church, home to both peasants and a monk appointed to administer the property and collect the tithes. This hypothesis was confirmed by the excavations conducted in the 1960s, which revealed that around the foundations of the early church lay a rural building with various rooms and an artesian well. After the cell was abandoned, probably in the twelfth century, the church was transferred to the care of local ecclesiastical authorities and noble families who financed the extension work executed in the twelfth to thirteenth centuries, as well as subsequent modifications and appendages.
By bus: from Mendrisio station take the Autolinea Mendrisiense “linea 3” bus going to Fox Town, and get off at Santo Martino. By car: motorway A2, Mendrisio exit, follow directions to Mendrisio city centre, take Via Vignalunga, after 600 metres turn right onto Via S. Martino where you will find the Church.
- AA.VV., Guida d'arte della Svizzera Italiana, edizioni Casagrande, 2007, pp. 450-451
- MARTINOLA, G., Inventario d'Arte del Mendrisiotto, ed. dello Stato, 1975, vol 1., pp. 236- 242.
- MEDICI, M., Storia di Mendrisio, ed. Banca Raiffeisen Mendrisio, 1980, vol 1. pp. 225-247