Rediscovering an ancient mill!
|(CH 1903)||E 707985||N 95965||H 419.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.833||Lat. 46.007|
Garaverio Mill stands in an area rich in conduits which flow together into two converging channels lower down in the River Lisora. Clear signs of human intervention, aimed at diverting the water into two channels and using it to power the mill, can be seen in the piles of ellipsoid stones shaped by geological forces and partially re-modelled by man in order to channel the water more effectively toward the two conduits leading to the mill; these conduits, approximately 90 centimetres across, are flanked by external pathways for cleaning purposes, and terminate in a channel approximately one metre wide with paths on either side. Also worth noting is the building known as the “Dogana”, which was perhaps used as a deposit for the goods in transit to and from the mill, and which stands at the confluence of the two channels, on a triple-terraced embankment which can be reached by crossing a natural bridge reinforced by a dry-stone wall.
By bus: Take the bus from Magliaso to Novaggio, change at Novaggio, Posta, and take the bus going to Astano. Get off at the village of Bombinasco and walk to the Oratorio della SS. Trinità. By car: take the road from Caslano to Novaggio, and then follow the signs for Astano. After reaching the village of Bombinasco, park the car and follow the footpath from the Oratorio della SS. Trinità to the mill.
The path leaves from the Oratorio della SS. Trinità and drops steeply down to the mill. The walk takes approximately 15-20 minutes.