Rediscovering a forgotten medieval village!
|(CH 1903)||E 717815||N 101200||H 610.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.961||Lat. 46.052|
Archaeological, Historical, Architectural
Official records from the year 1310 record the medieval Redde Tower as owned by the powerful Rusca family from Como, who controlled the strategic points along the Bellinzona Road and the Alpine Passes. The structure is rectangular in shape, with one single entrance on the east wall. The later addition of ceiling beams in order to create a room made it necessary to create an opening and an external entrance staircase leading to the upper floor. The protective wall that probably existed, marking the boundary of the level area of ground, extended northward from the tower. Three residential structures around the building can also be seen. The surface excavations conducted have not uncovered archaeological finds of any value in terms of developing the understanding of the site.
By bus: from Lugano Station, take the Tesserete bus and get off at Vaglio, Piccolo Vaglio; walk to Via San Clemente (5 minutes). By car: take the Lugano – Capriasca road; park in Vaglio town centre; walk along Strada Cantonale toward Origlio and turn left onto Via San Clemente (approximately 20 minutes). The site is always open and free of charge.
AA.VV. Guida d’arte della Svizzera Italiana, Bellinzona, 2007