Palazzo Viani Dugnani via Ruga, 44 28922 Verbania
|(CH 1903)||E 686321||N 86311||H|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.551||Lat. 45.923|
Didactic, Archaeological, Historical, Architectural
The Verbania Pallanza Museo del Paesaggio was established in 1909 and initially focussed its collections on artistic topics. A later donation led to the 1961 addition of the archaeological collection, which consists of the material found by Enrico Bianchetti in the Ornavasso necropolises at the end of the nineteenth century. The archaeological section, re-organised into a new display in 2001, is located in Palazzo Viani Dugnani, where it occupies parts of the ground and basement floors. The more than 1500 pieces from the Ornavasso necropolises, dating from the second century BCE to the end of the first century CE, provide a cross-sectional view of the economic and social organisation of a small Leponti community and illustrate the gradual adoption of Roman habits and traditions.
Motorway A26 to Gravellona Toce, exit at Verbania, then take S.S. 34 to Verbania.