The Ceresio Canyon loved by scholars
|(CH 1903)||E 727507||N 96201||H 296.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 9.085||Lat. 46.005|
The ancient valley now occupied by Lake Lugano deepened by several hundred meters during the Messinian Age (circa 5 million years ago), when, as a result of the temporary closure of the Strait of Gibraltar, there was a gradual drying up of the waters of the Mediterranean, which were no longer connected with the Atlantic, and a consequent lowering of the base level. Moreover, the wide valley was occupied several times during the Neozoic Period by glaciers slowly descending towards the south, carving the sides of the valley and deepening and widening its bottom. The Telo River, having to connect quickly and ever more deeply at the base level, thus dug a deep gorge by exerting an erosive linear action.
This geological site, located at the entrance of the small inhabited area of Osteno, can be reached from Val d’Intelvi along S.P.14 in the direction of Porlezza, continuing to Osteno. Coming from Porlezza, go towards Val d’Intelvi on S.P. 14. Park in the large car park at the entrance of the town, located on the right bank of the river before the bridge.
Unfortunately, the site is privately owned. Until a few decades ago it was open to the public, but it is now closed and in a state of neglect.