“Bocc dai Faj” in the local dialect
Cava di marmo di Sambughetto
|(CH 1903)||E 668184||N 84574||H 641.0|
|(WGS 84)||Long. 8.317||Lat. 45.909|
Paleontology, Mineralogy / petrology
This is one of the most famous caves of Northern Piemonte. In the years around 1950, the remains of a rich fauna dating back to between 35,000 and 40,000 years ago (among which was Ursus Spaeleus) were recovered. The cavity opens into a lens of coarse white and gray marble, the result of the now discontinued quarrying of marble which has altered several areas of the cave, dividing it into two parts and intercepting it several times. The eastern sector is mostly empty of water and has the typical appearance of a fossil cavity. More spectacular is the waterfall and the maze of white marble, traversed by a stream, which characterize the western sector. The water comes from seepage from the Chignolo River, a tributary of the Strona River, above the cave, and then disappears through a landslide in the final room of the cave. The water rises again among boulders on the banks of the Strona River. The cave as a whole has a good variety of underground karst landforms: oblique plates formed under pressure, conduits not evolved gravitationally, and conduits and ravines evolved gravitationally.
Cella G.D., Ricci M. "Le grotte delle province di Novara e del Verbano-Cusio-Ossola"